Wednesday 9 October 2013

What's hidden in YOUR fridge?

I'm feeling a bit better today, sleeping a thousand hours yesterday definitely helped my cold. Plus I had a busy day planned out so up and at 'em I went. Normally I wake up at 5am (early bird remember) but today I had a blissful rest until 6:30am. Its really the little things in life :)

My soon to be in-laws came to visit today for the week to celebrate Thanksgiving. I feel very grateful to be joining such a loving family but still wanted to impress them with my domestic skills. For my first task I decided to clean out the fridge. This was quite a bit more overwhelming then I anticipated, are you aware of what can be lurking in your fridge?! It was quite humbling seeing the two year old salad dressings, ketchup with barely one tablespoon left and more barbecue sauces that I would ever know what to do with..I could go on. After throwing out almost all of our condiments and washing endlessly with Mr. Clean, our fridge was sparkling white again. Are you ready for the big reveal...ta da!


It's really not that exciting I know, but at least its organized! It actually reminds me of the show that MTV used to air, Cribs. Did you watch it? It was a bunch of celebrities showcasing their mansions; 15 bedrooms, 10 bathrooms, movie theatre...you get the idea. My favourite part was always when they opened their fridges. Usually there were mainly beverages, celebrities don't really eat right?? But I always felt I had a little glimpse into their personal lives.




I haven't done our Thanksgiving grocery shopping yet so fridge is looking a little scarce but lots of Perrier, Almond Milk, delicious home-maid Kombucha, lots of eggs and egg whites, unpasteurised sauerkraut, Greek yogurt, home-made soup and cut up veggies. The main feature is the slimy Scoby's sitting in their juice waiting to be made into more Kombucha. (I had a long chat with some girlfriends today about what a Scoby is). That will be saved for a future post where I'll give you detailed instructions on how to make this miracle tea.

After cleaning was done, time for some dinner. To be honest, I'm still not feeling well so this is a sick woman's attempt at home-made chicken soup. Here is the simple recipe if you'd like to try:

Boil 2 cups of organic beef broth on medium/high heat
Add 1/2 cup of chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup minced onions
1 pre-cooked skinless chicken breast
Add pinch of sea salt and any salt free seasonings of your choice; parsley and Mrs. Dash are great options
Simmer for about 10 minutes or until vegetable are soft
Turn off oven and pour soup into your favourite bowl to enjoy.

I had mine with some Amy's Gluten Free crackers and a crisp glass of home-made Kombucha.





If the suspense is killing you about what Kombucha is, please visit my friend Charly's website. She is a Personal Trainer/Nutritionist who I often reference and is an amazing cook. She was the one who first taught me how to make this magic tea :) http://energylife.ca/Recipes is filled with many grain-free cooking options.

I hope everyone is having a great night and just think, tomorrow is Thursday...which is one day closer to Friday. Boom!

Sending you blessings and love,
Sam :)


2 comments:

  1. That fridge is so clean it belongs on a space ship! Out of this world :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks Lila!! This is a rare moment in our house :)

    ReplyDelete