Saturday 23 November 2013

Namaste

According to yogajournal.com, the gesture Namaste represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra. The gesture is an acknowledgement of the soul in one by the soul in another. Nama means bow, as means I, and te means you. Therefore, namaste literally means "bow me you" or "I bow to you."



I just completed a hot yoga class and as usual we end the class saying "namaste" and bowing to each other. This might be my favourite part of the class. To me it feels like we are giving thanks to our bodies, to our teacher, and to each other for being together in unity and doing something wonderful to start or end the day. I've really missed yoga lately. I used to be pretty consistent with two-three classes per week but generally in the summer my need for hot yoga decreases (it's just too damn hot for added humidity) and with ironman training and my classes at 2110 Fitness, most of my time is filled. However, it's more mentally I've noticed the shift. My thoughts are a bit more scattered and I seem to be stressing over all the things I "should" be doing, instead of just living in the present. Yoga teaches us to live in the present and stop dwelling on regrets of the past or worrying about the future. All we really have is right here, in this very moment. It's relieving isn't it? When you find yourself stressed or overwhelmed, try stopping yourself and taking a few deep breaths. Close your eyes and let the air fill your lungs and calmly exhale. I even do this at my desk at work, its helps bring me back to the "now" and focus on the task at hand. Try it, I think you'll notice a positive change.


Speaking of stress, I was sick AGAIN last week and just starting to get over a nasty cold. The weather has rapidly changed in Calgary from "OK it's cold, to holy S**T my eyelashes are frozen!" so the flu season is definitely upon up. Even with all the vitamins I take etc, I couldn't avoid it. So this time I decided to accept I was sick and not ignore or try and beat it. I've been pretty crazy at work the last few weeks so taking a day off wasn't exactly an option. Instead, I paired way back on my workouts, I think I only made it to a class once, and went to bed early every night. So many us try to "work through" a cold or flu but really we are working against ourselves. Taking time to get proper rest and fuelling your body with healthy foods is the best medicine we can take. Although I hate to admit it, but Advil cold and sinus was my saving grace to get through my meetings this week. No one likes to chat with someone with a kleenex hanging out of her nose...not cute at all.

I unfortunately missed a fun jewelry party my girlfriend was having last night and I also cancelled a spin class and coffee date this morning but sometimes you just need to take care of yourself. Which brings me back to the start of this post and going to yoga. Not working out and being sick does not make for a pleasant moi so yoga had to be done. It feels gentler on your body to me and helped get my mind clear again so I'm very glad I went. Namaste really works I'm telling ya. What's your favourite activity to manage stress or help you feel better? It doesn't always have to be bustin your butt at crossfit or spin; sometimes meeting with a good friend and talking does wonders, or even going for a walk or shopping can lift your spirits. The importance comes from knowing when to take action and when to rest...it's a lifelong learning process I'm discovering.



After yoga I immediately drank (or inhaled some might say if they saw me) a coconut water with some liquid iron and took my vitamin C and D pills. Then I showered all the sweat and hopefully my cold out of my system, put on my comfiest sweats (they are so old but I can't throw them away), and made the easiest omelet known to man. 


Here is how I make my omelet below so you can make one too:

Instructions:

Turn burner onto medium heat and spray frying pan with non-fat cooking spray (pam or something similar).
Place frying pan on burner and add one tsp of coconut oil and a small handful of your favourite frozen vegetable; peas, broccoli etc.
Take two eggs or one egg and three egg whites and beat together in a bowl.
Pour onto frying pan and add Mrs. Dash and cinnamon (I have a clear obsession with cinnamon as you've likely noticed).
Once eggs start to bubble a bit or you see the side of the omelet lifting, take a large spatula and gently flip over to cook the other side.
Repeat this a few times until your omelet is cooked to your liking. 
Turn off burner, place omelet on a plate to cool and enjoy! Easy peasy. 

I ate my omelet with some Mary's gluten free crackers for added crunch and a large tbsp of unpasteurised sauerkraut...freakin love that stuff.






I don't really have any plans the rest of the day and I love it. I'm sort of hibernating and just enjoying the peacefulness of our house while sipping tea. Life is good isn't it? :)

I hope you are all having a great weekend so far and whatever you are doing, try and remember to breathe and simply enjoy the moment at hand. 

Namaste <3



Sending you many blessings and love,
Sam xo



(He's just too cute, had to share!)

1 comment:

  1. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-maclean/surviving-whole-foods_b_3895583.html

    Check out the article that was in the Huffington Post- its funny and true. Your Namaste made me think of it. Hope you get a good laugh out of it.

    ReplyDelete